Demoscene Summer Tour 2005 - The Epic Voyage

Friday, July 29, 2005

ASSEMBLY'05


View from the grand stand.

29.07.2005 21:38 (T 6 days 15:08 D 3764 Km + some more by boat and train)

I've survived the pre-party, the first AND the second day of Assembly. Or at least, I think I did. It is great to meet old and new friends - "meeting sceners is so nice, what's your nick? ..." - and the ambience is great. It is rather strange to be surrounded by Finnish people, because normally I would only see them at demoparties, completely wasted, and here they walk sober in the streets. Weird...

The boat trip was boring, exhausting and boring. Yes, it was double boring. I can't stress that enough. People were tired from the trip, so they went to sleep and I stayed awake, trying to produce some music without the tools I need... Unfortunately, nothing good came out, except one or two notes. Which anyway don't fit with anything else.

Once in Turku, we took the train to Helsinki. 2 hours trip and we were in the heart of the capital of Finland. What a trip! And 4 days before we were in Portugal!...

After unloading the stuff at Matti's place, we went to the city to get something to eat and proceed to the pre-party. There were all the oldskoolers that we are used to know from slengpung or bonfires, and it was great! Boozing, playing soccer, badmington or flying saucer (or whatever you write it) and talking with loads of Finns and Swedes and Greeks and Americans and British and who knows what else... The day ended perfectly with us going to some kind of company with a projector to record our comments to amiga demos, in order to appear in the upcoming Mindcandy DVD. It was lots of fun, though I doubt that any of it will ACTUALLY appear in the DVD... :)

The next day (thursday 28th) was cool, Rup and I we participated in the basketball compo, where we lost with some kids. Actually, I don't know why I still do those kind of things, today I played soccer and lost with some kids - it seems to happen a lot these days.

The worse is that the bad luck - or shall I say bad planning... - also happened in the demoscene category... I was making music until 4h in the morning, but the deadline for it had been the day before at 20h. The deadlines were not so explicit. Or maybe I'm just too stupid to understand them.

While I try to participate in compos and fail, ps is getting absurdely drunk and Rup is leeching warez and watching movies. I don't know who is doing best, I would say ps, so I should probably join him.

Today, we went to a "behind-the-scenes" tour with Abyss. That was really nice, to be able to see how this ENOURMOUS machine works. We took some ideas to implement at InérciaDemoparty and exchanged ideas with other fellow organizers from demos around Europe. Most of all, we got the impression of what is to organize such a big thing. If we want to become that big, there has to be a change in mentalities and such, but of course even with that accomplished we won't make it in the next 5 or 10 years. But, who knows...?

Right now the instrumental music compo is starting, and while ps will continue boozing and Rup continue watching Top Gear, I will try to get some sense in demopartying... :)

1 Comments:

  • I see... you need your national team, the same with how you won respect in the Rotterdam stadium.


    piccolo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home